Tuesday, March 29, 2005

So this is our nation's capitol.

I arrived in Washington, DC the day before yesterday. When I stepped off the plane, I almost cried with the wonder and joy of being in America again. Unfortunately, the customs agents didn't share my joy and demanded my passport and tickets when I said, "Can you believe it? It's America!" No one understands. Since I've been here I've gone shopping, had a massage, eaten at a deli, shopped at Safeway, and spoken English to everyone. The English part is a little bit weird. I'm not used to understanding other peoples' conversations in the bathroom and on the subway and, honestly, I find it a little disconcerting. In-country, when people would speak in Russian I always imagined they that were discussing something incredibly interesting. Now I realize that they were probably just saying, "Could you pass me some toilet paper? My stall is out." or "Did you hear about the newest recipe for plov? I can't wait to try it at our sheep slaughtering this weekend." Plus, it is exhausting to process information about other peoples' lives. Of course I always listen in and make mental notes - this one's neurotic, this one's an insomniac, this one's life is driven by work, and so on and so on. They're probably thinking: This one has a bad haircut. I have a lot of free time here and am trying to think of ways to fill it. Its an entirely different problem than the one that confronted me in Kyrgyzstan. There my options were either read a book or watch television in Russian. Oh, or sit in my room for an hour straight mechanically putting chocolates into my mouth (not that it ever happened). Here I can go to a museum, see a movie, get a coffee and read the paper - so many things to do that it makes decision making difficult. Alright, I'm going to go try and sleep again. I woke up, as usual at 5am and was wide-awake. Thank you jet-lag! Bye for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wrote this on my website and realized that you might not see it there. I am reposting it here for you. I got medevacked to Thailand because my medevac is regional. I would assume that it's cheaper and the facilities here are fine for dermatological eval. When are you coming home, Ailey? I want you to hold me in your arms again and whisper naughty jokes to me and stick your tongue inside my ear, making little slobbery circles. Like old times, remember? I have come to terms with the 7-11s here. I even drank a Big Gulp this afternoon with my octopus. Lovage.

Sean Brown said...

Aileygul Ejeke,
I was wondering if you are going to change your blog name to Ailey-in-the-distrtict-of-columbia-astan. I think it's catchy and more acurate at the moment. Things have dramatically changed here with the new government. They have bulldozed Altimish Jil and are building a combination waterpark, McDonalds, Starbucks and Golds Gym. Should improve life in BK slightly... I hope you are well and you are enjoying being home. Salima says big hi and Umut wants a picture of you in DC because she says you look better in America than you do here. Ok, keep in touch. Love,
Sean