Friday, March 25, 2005

Hello from Frankfurt

I want to begin this post by apologizing for any misspellings, particularly `y` where there should be `z` and vice-versa. I'm writing this in Frankfurt, Germany and, for some reason unknown to me, the keyboard is switched-around. First of all, Kyrgzy news: the president fled the country, the opposition party took over the government buildings, the mob looted various stores around the city, and Peace Corps volunteers are consolidated. As far as I know, the only people who have been evacuated are the volunteers from Osh and Jalalabad who are now living in various surrounding villages. My home-town, Bazar-Korgon, has welcomed its fair share of volunteers recently. In response to Ian's post - BK remains peaceful and Kyrgyz-Uzbek relations remain as they ever were. By the way, I know your old host-family and they still speak of you. When militia officers were being beaten to death by an angry mob in Jalalabad City, the people of Bazar-Korgon didn't even know that there was a problem half an hour away from them. Speaking of Bazar-Korgon, it seems far away right now, considering the fact that I just ate at McDonalds, withdrew euros from an ATM, and am about to go drink some German beer. The initial plan for my medevac was to leave last night on Turkish Airlines and stop over in Istanbul; however, foreign carriers cancelled all flights out of Bishkek, so my options were limited to flying from Almaty, or taking Kyrgyz Airways to Germany. Since I don't have a Kazakh visa and the borders were closing down, Kyrgzy Airways was the better option. I should be in DC tomorrow evening. I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed right now by the recent events. First of all, I get whisked away from my village for medical. Then, while in the city, an angry mob takes over the government. I was just sitting down for lunch in a nice cafe (I had even ordered a cappuccino), when a Peace Corps staffer came running in. 'We have to go now!' she said. 'Why,' I asked. 'They're just bringing my coffee.' 'The people are coming!' she said. 'The people are coming!' We ran outside to where the Peace Corps vehicle was waiting and, sure enough, thousands of protestors were marching down the street. While I was sad to leave behind my coffee, I preferred not to be in the path of so many volatile marchers. To make up for this loss, a friend and I decided to go to the Hyatt for lunch. When we came back, stuffed and glowing from our delicious meal, we discovered that the opposition had taken over the White House and that Akaev had fled. I felt like such a tool. I was eating lunch at the Hyatt while other people were witnessing revolution. But anyway, this entire situation is just too weird. In fact, I'm really weirded out that I'm in Germany right now. I mean, honestly, Germany? Just this morning I was stoked to have a luke-warm shower at the hotel. When I asked the woman at the desk here if the rooms have showers, she laughed in my face. Apparently I have some adjusting to do. Alright, sorry this blog is so long. If you have read this far, you are a dedicated type of person. Next update will be from Washington, DC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yo Ails-

Spreken zie deutch?? Don't mind my spelling- I obviously know NOTHING about the German language. Live it up in Germany while you can! Isn't the developed world a magical thing of wonder? I miss you and I can't wait to see you in DC!!