Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Take That, Tajik Tummy!

I finally folded to the Cipro. Five years ago when I arrived in Kyrgyzstan, I heard horror stories about Cipro – it’s like a nuclear bomb for your intestines; it causes farts with three heads and five arms; it will make your intestines shrivel and die; your stomach will never be the same again.

Because of these fears, I’ve always avoided Cipro. However, I’ve been in Tajikistan for just over two weeks and have been ill for over half of that time. When I weighed myself on Saturday, I was shocked to find that I’ve lost around ten pounds. It’s not a nice fit-into-tiny-jeans weight loss, mind you. It’s a pale, stooped, weak, and bloated kind of weight loss (sort of like Lindsay Lohan at her worst). People keep asking me if I’m tired. I am.

The turning point, however, was when we watched Pirates of the Caribbean III and I almost cried. Why can’t Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley be together? Why?!!! After tossing and turning all night, tortured by their tortured love, I knew that something had to change. I only have sensitive feelings when I’m sick and I’m tired of being sick.

In a moment of final desperation, I nuclear bombed my stomach. After writhing on my bed in an agony of nausea for an hour or two, I’m beginning to feel better! I’m no longer doing laps between my bed and the bathroom. And, I only woke up once in the middle of the night and that was because Malika, my roommate and co-director, was too scared to go to the toilet on her own.
These positive changes leave me hopeful. In the next couple of days, I plan to be out running again, swimming in the pool, and participating heartily in weekly dance classes. Wish me luck as my intestines and I move forward into our bright future, but don’t judge us if we bring along some crazy-looking gas.

We’ve been through a lot in the past week.

No comments: