Thursday, July 30, 2009

Eating Soil: Update

After receiving a lot of feedback on my friend who craved soil (apparently, a condition common in South American and known as 'pico'), I advised her to visit the doctor. Thanks to everyone who commented, I told her that she might be suffering an iron deficiency and should get a blood test and supplements. When she visited the doctor, she relayed the information and was indeed found to have very low iron. She now takes supplements daily and her craving for soil has declined. I only wonder that the doctor didn't think of this when she was first consulted about my friend's desire for dirt. Obviously, the medical care here is not up to par and when I think about all the women who might be suffering similar and equally treatable conditions, it makes me shudder.

Thanks again for positively influencing the health of my friend and her baby.

No comments: