Friday, July 10, 2009

Back in Tajikistan

I've been back in Tajikistan for about a week now, but the internet is so slow that Blogger keeps crashing on me (shakes fist at sky). So far, things have been pretty commonplace. While cows in the road and road stops by KGB officers are not unusual to me, it's been fun to see the students' reactions. Everyone seems to have a positive outlook on Tajikistan and that pleases me. To be honest, the camp is kind of a cushy version of Tajikistan. We have air-conditioned classrooms, a sort-of swimming pool, ping pong, nice cabins, cooks, and laundry service. We're also located about 20 minutes outside of the city and in the foothills of the Fan Mountains. The air is cool and fresh and there are trees and birds everywhere.

I've been kept busy observing the students' Tajik classes (I've been learning some Tajik, myself) and participating in our daily activities. These have included Tajik dance class, traditional embroidery, painting, and, today, cooking. Farkhod, the only male camp staffer, has informed me that I will assist him in preparing osh (plov) tonight. We're going to do it the right way - in a big iron kazan over an open fire in the yard.

The best part of my trip thus far was visiting my host-family yesterday. I didn't call first, so I surprised them at home. As I knocked on the door, I was so excited that I almost cried. The only time I've felt that way has been waiting for Ritchie to get off and airplane or waiting to see him as I get off. They gave me an awesome welcome with lots of hugs, tons of food (of course), and demands to come back shortly. The kids even remembered my name and we played with the sidewalk chalk that I brought them in the garden. The visit was too short, as I needed to return to camp, but I'll visit them again next week.

On Saturday evening, Jarrett and I will be reunited in Dushanbe. I can't wait to see him and hear about his work in Garm. I've heard rumors of unrest there and want to hear about his experiences.

Anyway, that's it for now and I'll try to update again soon; that is, if the internet doesn't give me an aneurism first.

No comments: