Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Goodbye, Himalaya!

After two weeks in the mountains, I'm saying goodbye and beginning the journey back to Delhi today. It's not a quick trip: 2 - 3 hours to the train station and then an 8 hour overnight train to Delhi. My last overnight train experience was unpleasant. Every time I woke up (about every five minutes), I opened my eyes to find an army officer staring at me over his machine gun. Cam and I upgraded our tickets this time, so we'll be traveling 2nd Class AC. This means that instead of three bunks stacked on each wall, there are only two bunks. There's also a door that separates the car from the main entrance AND the bunks have sheets and pillows. Oy, luxury!
I'm excited to get back to Delhi, see the Taj Mahal, drink a beer, and diversify my diet (potatoes and dahl have started to get old). However, I'm really sad to leave the Himalayas. Obviously, it's incredibly beautiful here - I feel lucky to have seen the high Himalayas on numerous occasions. In addition to that, it's also incredibly peaceful and quiet, the people are friendly, the air is clean and, truthfully, I just prefer the mountains to other places. I keep scheming up ways to come back, all of which involve tricking Ritchie into coming, as well.

Next time I come, I'll have Ritchie with me and we'll be prepared to take full advantage. I'm thinking about a safari through Corbett Tiger Reserve, a trek on the Tibetan border, and a week relaxing in the garden at Sonapani (http://www.sonapani.com/). while Chaiwallas bring us tea. But, for now, it's back to the big city and then school and work. The real world is coming for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been biting my nails waiting for the end of the India story! Please post more!