Sunday, March 08, 2009

Getting Ready (aka Avoiding Diarrhea)

On Wednesday, I leave for my first trip to India. I'm going to the Central Himalaya for three weeks to help an NGO in Uttarakhand develop a three-year business plan for their Agricultural Marketing initiative. I'm really excited about this opportunity; however, I'm a little apprehensive overall. As usual, I'm a preoccupied with food and intestinal ailments.

While I am fully prepared to eat vegetarian food for three weeks, I am less prepared for the giardhia, amoebic dysentery, and food poisoning that are waiting for me (I can imagine them holding tryouts to see who gets to infect the next foreign host). Food poisoning in Tajikistan was the horrors and I want to avoid another experience like that; so, today I bought all kinds of gear. First, a SteriPen, which supposedly kills anything that will give you diarrhea with UV rays. I like the way that sounds! Next, a carbon filter for my water bottle. This will take out all the visible floating bits (like leaves and poo). I'm feeling a bit more prepared, though I'm still nervous about getting sick. I'll only be there for three weeks and I have a lot of work to do, so I can't waste days laid-up in bed.

Anyway, I'll try to update regularly, as I know everyone who reads this is deeply concerned about my intestinal health. I might even include pictures and stories about other stuff, but we all know what's most important.

Today's Intestinal Health: Excellent

No comments: