Thursday, July 12, 2007

Nevermind

I lied in my previous post - I have let a 'little' typhoon ruin my weekend plans. However, this doesn't mean that I don't have alternatives! Rather than navigate a rushing river on an inflatable raft, I will navigate a crowded subway system on my own two feet. Rather than rapell down a 70 foot waterfall into a pool of crystal-clear water, I will ride a glass elevator to the observation deck of the tallest building in Japan. Rather than set-up camp on a riverbank, I will curl up on my friend Carlton's apartment floor. Yes, that's right, I'm going to Tokyo!

I've been to Tokyo (three times), so it's not as exciting as Shikoku. It's also drenched in concrete and neon, so it's not as picturesque as Shikoku. And the masses of buildings, people, and cars make it difficult to enjoy 'nature,' so it's not exactly what I had planned for my last three-day weekend in Japan. However, Japan is a relatively small island and this little 'typhoon' is negatively affecting ever possible outdoor activity. Therefore, going somewhere with indoor offerings is a must.

I'm disappointed about missing out on rafting and canyoning, but I love Tokyo and shouldn't complain. Even though I've been there (three times), there's still so much that I haven't seen! The Chinatown in Yokohama, for example, or the Daibutsu in Kamakura. That's one of the good things about Japan - even if you've seen it all, there's always something more.

1 comment:

nathan kaiser said...

The chinatown in Yokohama is awesome. Marissa and I had a great time there!