Monday, July 23, 2007

Musings

Tonight, I had my last English conversation class. Even though it's been a month of 'lasts,' I feel even sadder now than I have before. Once a week for the past year, I've spent an hour with the same six people - playing games, discussing cultural differences, and endlessly teasing each other. This class and this group of people is one of the only things about my life in Japan that hasn't been a challenge. Our age differences span as many as fifty years, we all come from different backgrounds, have different interests, and very separate lives and yet, somehow, we managed to have a good time whenever we were together. I have been really moved by this experience and can honestly say that it's one of the best I've had in Japan.

And, because I'm in a sentimental state of mind, I'm going to reminisce on my other 'bests' from this year past. There are a few (okay, a lot) and they're in no particular order. So, if you've got some time to kill, read on my friends! It's a rare glimpse into what I've been doing over on this side of the world.

My most memorable experiences have been:

Playing 'Would you Rather' at Yashiro with Liz, Ryan, and Loz and laughing until I couldn't breathe; seeing Ritchie walk into the terminal at Narita airport, riding rental bikes around Kyoto, and singing karaoke in Tokyo; playing dodgeball with the 1st and 2nd graders at recess (and getting my butt kicked); meeting Taka and his amazing family who now call me Ailey-chan and always make me feel at home; playing with the InterHyogo soccer team in Awaji and taking first place (Go, go, Hyogo!); spending Christmas in England with Ritchie and his family; riding the ferris wheel with Liz in freezing-cold Edinburgh; skiing with Travy, Carly, and Liz in Tajima - the few times that it actually snowed; the night that Jennie made apple pie; my shoes icing over in Sapporo, followed by skiing in powder up to my knees and then warmed up with hot drinks; experiencing The Dune with Reuben Rye and drinking beers with my English conversation class; spending one short but fun weekend with Nate and Marissa; nomihoudai night (oh, but it was dangerous and I have scars to prove it) and playing darts in Tokyo with Denise; cooking dinner with Dirty Mario on the beach and watching him throw tennis balls at the hawks; making pottery with Kazue and her family and having them sing Happy Birthday to Ritchie (the long-distance version) in the backseat of the car; tasting home for one week, then coming back; planning, teaching, struggling, and generally growing.

Now I only have one week left in this too small town, in this tiny apartment with the absurdly low door frames. Just like this time last year, it's hot and humid and miserable outside. The difference is that now there's a life I've made for myself that will be left behind. And that's damn hard thing to say goodbye to.

No comments: