Sunday, July 08, 2007

Farewell speech to Koto Elementary School

This speech is written for elementary school students and it's definitely not going to win any awards for eloquence, but I became very emotional while writing it. Teaching at elementary school has been one of my favorite parts of working in Japan and I feel very sad knowing that tomorrow will be my last day. Even on my angriest days, having little kids chase my bike on the street yelling 'Ailey-sensei! Ailey-sensei!' always seemed to lift my spirits. That's the funny thing about kids - though I may look different (very different) and speak poor Japanese, they don't seem to care.



"Good morning, everyone!

Today is my last day at Koto Elementary School.

I am excited to go home to my family and friends in Seattle, WA, but I will miss you all very much. My first day at Koto seems like just last week, and not one year ago. Now, the kindergarteners are 1st graders and the 6th graders have moved to Minato Junior High. There have been a lot of changes and you are all growing very quickly.

Next year, even though I will be thousands of kilometers away, I will always remember cooking curry and rice with you in the home economics room, playing soccer and dodgeball at recess, and picking 'wakame' at Tai Beach. My days at Koto Elementary School were some of the best that I had in Japan. You are very special students and you always made me feel welcome, even though I look different and cannot speak Japanese well.

I hope that you are as kind and friendly to the next English teacher, who will be just as nervous and scared as I was when I first came here.

I will leave Kehi in three weeks. Before then, if you see me on the street, please say 'hello' and 'how are you.' It will make me happy to know that this isn't our last goodbye. Otherwise, please remember me when you speak English or listen to the news about the Seattle Mariners. I know that I will always remember all of you."

No comments: