Thursday, June 19, 2008

The heat is consistent. The electricity is not.

Yesterday, in the middle of my last class, the electricity went out. I thrive on the electricity in our classrooms. When it turns off, so does my soul. It was 4:00 p.m. and the heat was intense. I started sweating. My teacher and I decided to open a window, but it was hotter outside than it was in the room. I made a quick pros and cons list in my head: cooler (but still hot) and stuffy versus hotter and fresher. They were both losers.

Today I was eating lunch in the Turkish cafe and got the gut-wrenching cramps that come only with bad food on an empty stomach. I ran to the bathroom, but the lights went out in the middle of my stint. Afterward, I realized that I had been standing in the wrong direction on the squat toilet.

Tajikistan has "energy problems." Hence, mid-day blackouts and winters without heat or running water. I'm not an expert on the country's natural resources, but I do know that they have a lot of hydropower. The problem is, they sold most of it to Afghanistan. Oh, the wonders that truly great leadership can achieve.

I don't really mind going to the bathroom in the dark. In fact, sometimes it can be an exciting adventure (only for the very bored). I don't even really mind sitting in a hot classroom. I'm just glad that I don't have to be here in the winter.

1 comment:

h.Lo said...

Ugh! That sounds miserable. And so odd. They sold their power to Afghanistan? Man, that's a new one to me.

Also, I'd like more info as to wtf a "squat toilet" is?! Looking forward to your next post!