Friday, June 13, 2008

Dushanbe: Day 2 (the happy part of the day)

It’s 6:30 and I’m awake, but I’m tired. I could lay in bed and listen to the birds chirping and the goat randomly bleeping for hours, I think. Especially because it’s still cool outside and it’s QUIET. The city sounds that I’m accustomed to in Seattle are non-existant here. On my second day in Tajikistan, I find it extremely relaxing.

In fact, I find the entire experience relaxing. True, struggling through learning a language with a host-family that you don’t know can be a tough experience, but I’m excited for the slow days. After my Uzbek placement test this morning, I hope to sit under the grape arbor and just read while drinking tea and thinking about nothing. A year of graduate school has made me hungry for quiet and long, lazy days. I feel like I’m on a retreat.

But first, I’m going to go running. It might not be a long distance, but it will get my legs moving and, hopefully, I’ll finally have time to get back in shape. Let’s pray for no rabid dogs or children with rocks. Though, to be honest, Dushanbe doesn’t seem like that kind of city.

No comments: