Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas from the UK!

Happy Holidays, everyone! It's Boxing Day in the UK, which means another day of feasting, presents, and general good cheer. In local news, Prince Phillip was hospitalized with chest pains, Kate is smiling mysteriously while holding her hands over her stomach, and the Army Wives are constantly on the radio with their endearing but slightly off-key Christmas song. Not to mention the Christmas specials galore (Downton Abbey, anyone?).

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Ritchie's parents. On Christmas Eve, we had a traditional evening dinner and pints at the pub and then saw Puss in Boots 3D. The empty theater attested to the fact that most people who would usually be watching a children's movie were at home preparing for Santa Claus. It was fun, though a departure from my usual 'church and opening presents with the family' approach to Christmas Eve.

I woke up on Christmas morning overcome by the sads. I was homesick and missed my family back in Seattle. Merry Christmas, indeed! And then I was hit by more sads when I realized that I won't see them again for a further ten months. It was one of those moments that caused me to question why I've chosen to spend this year in Kyrgyzstan. In my emotional blur, however, a little voice niggled through to remind that all challenges must come with these moments. This was probably just the first of many.

I roused myself and went to Christmas Mass with Ritchie and his parents. Singing the carols and listening to the service made me feel closer to my family and less homesick somehow. From that point on, the day was cheery. We feasted on roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and then opened presents. I was also excited to get a Christmas care package from my brother and sister-in-law with goodies from Pike Place Market and an adorable picture magnet of my nephew to adorn my fridge in Bishkek. Today will also be family- and food-full as we're dining at Ritchie's eldest brother's house.


 The picture below is to prove to my Mom that I went to church on Christmas. Look, Mom! Crucified Jesus even popped in for our picture!


I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: