Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It's time for something new.

In other words, it's time for something a little more upbeat. I apologize for the downer post, but living in a foreign country is a series of serious ups and downs; if I didn't reflect them in my blog, I wouldn't be true to the experience. But onwards and upwards!

I said goodbye to my dear friend Reuben on Monday night and drove home to nurse my lonely, aching heart. Soledad, o soledad! However, I'm left with some great memories, not least of which was our most excellent trip to Himeji! I'm told that going to the Hanami in Himeji is a must-do in Japan, so I'm glad that I was able to experience it. In essence, it's a big, drunken picnic in the shadow of the castle and under the cherry blossoms. The day was slightly overcast and drizzly, but well worth it.

Looking at the pictures, you might notice an abundance of cherry trees and foreigners. We might have been the largest group of westerners that the Japanese had ever seen together. In fact, I'd
say that Japanese tourists took a pretty equal share of pictures of the castle and pictures of us.


Those are some mighty fine cherry blossoms!
And those are some might fine looking foreigners!

2 comments:

Sean Brown said...

"If you already think that Tokyo is lame and all of the temples look the same, what WILL interest you in Japan?"

Ailey- I've been asking myself that since I got here...

But, your last post looked cool. I'm sure I'll get by somehow...

Denise said...

wAIT, WAIT...WHO ARE THOSE GUYS? APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS- OKINAWA DOES NOT HAVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THEM GO AWAY....