Sunday, March 25, 2007

Books are great!

I just finished a great book and I'm so pleased. I'm so pleased and so affected by this great book that I'm going to begin using words like 'pernicious' and 'occult' and 'diverting.' I am of a higher intellect, thanks to literature! I have 'improved my mind by extensive reading'! However, I am embittered knowing that, had I read this book prior to taking the GREs, I probably could have improved my score on the Verbal section.

Coincidentally, I rented the movie (definitely not as good as the BBC version) based on said book this weekend. While watching, my friends amused themselves by asking about 'Sir Hughes' family fortune' and whether or not 'Mr. Hughes' had taken me to 'the family estate in Derbyshire' yet. I assured them that 'Mr. Hughes has an excellent family estate in Luton-shire' and that 'it boasts all the amenities essential to gentle living.' They were satisfied.

But back to the book! Really diverting (ahem) books are difficult to put down and you never want them to end. They are also, sadly, few and far between. But because I don't understand the TV and there's no social scene in my town, I've had enough spare time over the last eight months to read some very, very good books. That said, few come close to the one I just finished. Sigh. It makes me happy just thinking about it.

I must remember to ask Sir Hughes about that estate . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what was this very diverting book that raised your IQ several points, Aileysan? Inquiring Moms want to know.

Unknown said...

Just think about my favorite movie, Mom, and the answer will come to you. This one should be easy.