Monday, August 28, 2006

Driving in Japan

The paperwork was signed, the money was handed over, and I took the receipt in my sweaty, shaking hand.

"Okay, okay," I thought. "It's not that different. No big deal. Look right, turn left. Remember look right, turn left. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe."

I turned the key and the tiny Daihatsu roared (well, more like meowed) to life. "Hey," the American leasing agent yelled, "Remember that we drive on the LEFT side of the road here!"

I reached for the blinker and the wiper blades began squeaking across the windshield. I tried for the brake and accidentally hit the gas. And that is when I knew - I was going to die.

1 comment:

ChaosCaro said...

isn´t it weired?? I was driving in South Africa on the "wrong" side. I almost hit a car after 5 minutes. I guess you´ll get used to it in a while. other people can do it - do you have a phone there?