Sunday, October 01, 2006

What do you want to be when you grow up?

"I want to be a pirate when I grow up!" the boy said.

"Really? A pirate?" Though taken aback by the creative answer, I inwardly laughed at the idea of this boy wearing a striped shirt and an eyepatch, yelling 'Aaargh!' while hobbling around on a peg-leg.

"Yes, a pirate! I want to fly in the sky!" he continued, enthusiastically.

Confused, I sneaked a quick peak at his paper. "Oh," I said. "A pilot. You want to be a PILOT when you grow up." Sadly, my hilarious image of the kid pillaging villages with his one good eye quickly deflated.

"A pirate!" he said again.

"A pirate!" the class echoed. "He wants to be a pirate!"

Maybe it's still funny, after all.

2 comments:

AspergantuS said...

Ailey - What a wonderful opportunity and adventure you are on! I am so envious. I am going to save this site...I will be back.
"I want to be a pirate"... thats awesome!
Japan...WOW! So cool!!!
Expect questions...lots of questions....

Barkernews said...

You want to go sulfing in Honoruru?